Squasherole? Try saying that five times fast. Mo the Morselist has been cooking up awesome healthy treats since early 2010. Driven by her father’s desire to enjoy a baked good while still following his restricted diet, she came up with Mac-n-Mo’s Morselicious Treats. These little cookie-like creations are high in fiber, low in sugar, low in fat, vegan, gluten free, sodium free and delicious! She has seen a big uptick in sales since starting her business and is proud to be launching an e-cookbook with even more delicious recipes. 12 days of MORSELICIOUSNESS! features 12 menus with a main dish and dessert recipe for each day. All of the recipes in the book are low sodium, low sugar, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and meat free (with one exception). Additionally, the book is full of great stories and fun pictures from Mo’s childhood and past experiences. You can check out a preview of the book here.
We thought this book was a perfect giveaway for Meatless Mondays, after all, the goal is to improve health by cutting back on meat and cutting back on sodium, sugar and fat seem like a natural fit for MM. See below for giveaway details. Here is Mo’s recipe for Roasted Acorn Squasherole. Enjoy!
Roasted Acorn Squasherole
- 1 Acorn Squash (cut in half with seeds scooped out)
- Seeds from Acorn Squash
- 1/4 cup Morselicious Mix*
- 2 tablespoons Hemp Protein Powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Coconut or Hemp Oil
- 1-2 Zucchini, sliced
- 2 Scallions (green onions), chopped
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Tumeric (Optional)
- Fresh juice of 1/2 Lemon and/or NO Salt Seasoning
- 1 cup Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Vegan or Non-Dairy cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Heat a small non-stick sauté pan over medium-low heat. Rinse and dry the seeds from the squash and add to the pan, lightly toasting on both sides for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Remove from the pan and set aside on a paper towel to cool.
- Bake squash in glass casserole dish, cut side down, for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove squash and allow to cool.
- Add coconut or hemp oil to the casserole dish, scoop out 3/4 of the squash and spread in an even layer to cover the bottom of the dish.
- In separate bowl, combine the Morselicious Mix, hemp protein and water until you have a “paste” consistency. Spread mixture over squash.
- Toss the zucchini and scallions with the black pepper, cayenne pepper, turmeric.
- Squeeze lemon juice over mixture and mix well.
- Add to the top of the casserole and sprinkle with remaining squash, mushrooms and cheese.
- Cover dish and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Top with toasted acorn seeds.
*Morselicious Mix is available for purchase at http://shop.macnmos.com/main.sc and contains: brown rice, organic unsweetened coconut, almonds, flax meal.