Get your spurtles ready, it’s time for the Third Annual Spar for the Spurtle American Porridge Making Championship!
Entering is easy — simply submit a short video demonstrating how to make your recipe and submit it via our entry page. Deadline to enter is July 22nd, 2013. Once we’ve reviewed the videos and selected the finalists, we’ll fly three lucky cooks to Portland, Oregon, to compete in a live cook-off. The cook-off winner scores the grand prize — $2500 cash and an all-expenses-paid adventure to Scotland to represent Bob’s Red Mill at the Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championship on Saturday, October 5th, 2013!
Be sure to read all the details, including the official rules on the About page, and if you need a little added inspiration, check out the videos. When you’ve done so, you’ll be ready to kick up your kilts and Spar for the Spurtle!
Visit Spar for the Spurtle for more information and to throw your porridge into the ring for a chance to spar for the spurtle!
Based on the video submissions, three finalists will be chosen to receive the ultimate trip for Bob’s Red Mill fans. The finalist prize package includes:
- Roundtrip airfare to Portland, Oregon
- Three-nights’ accommodations at a downtown Portland hotel
- A tour of Bob’s Red Mill led by company founder Bob Moore
- A gift basket filled with Bob’s Red Mill products and merchandise
- $100 Bob’s Red Mill Gift Card
- A spot in the live cook-off for a chance at the Grand Prize
- $100 for cook-off supplies
The winner of the live cook-off will receive the Grand Prize, which includes the following:
- Round-trip airfare for two to Scotland to represent the Bob’s Red Mill team at the 20th annual Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championship in October 2013
- Two nights’ accommodations in Edinburg, three nights’ accommodations in Carrbridge (for two)
- Rail transportation between Edinburgh and Carrbridge (for two)
- $2500 cash
If you have an original recipe that makes use of Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats that you think could contend for the title, simply make a short (less than three-minute) video detailing the recipe and how to make the dish.
In case you didn’t know, flavor will rule the day. Judges will be looking for a dish that blends ingredients harmoniously and can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. They’ll also have on eye on flavors that have universal appeal and make oats really shine. Dishes can be sweet or savory, but steel cut oats should be the star of your dish.
When it comes to porridge, taste is paramount. But how it looks is important, too. Get creative with your video and plating, with hundreds of entries, something that stands out will get the judges attention. Judges will be looking for something with flair to bring to Scotland.
Get creative, but know that the winning dish will need to be cooked on the stovetop using only two burners and able to be created from start to finish within 30 minutes. Oats may be soaked or toasted prior to the start of the 30 minutes, but they cannot be cooked in any way. Other ingredients can be prepped (sliced, diced, candied) and ready to go before the clock starts ticking.