This gluten-free cranberry bread is made with yogurt instead of oil and is sweetened with honey and orange zest. Wouldn’t this make a lovely breakfast for Thanksgiving?
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1-¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Almond Meal
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Bob’s Red Mill Xanthan Gum
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Nonfat Organic Yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 2 Tbsp Honey (I use Sweet Caroline’s)
- 1 tsp gluten free Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Orange Zest
- 1-½ cup Cranberries (dried or fresh)
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Spread walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast in over for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove; coarsely chop.
Prepare a bread pan or muffin tin*.
In a medium bowl combine flour, almond meal, brown sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. In a medium bowl or Kitchen Aid, mix (using flat beater attachment) eggs, yogurt, vanilla, orange zest; add dry ingredients. Combine. Add cranberries and toasted walnuts. Combine.
Pour the batter into prepared baking pans or muffin tin and bake for about 1 hour, until sides pull away from edges of the pans, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm. Share with your friends, family and training partners.
*Muffins are great real food snacks for training rides and fit perfectly in your jersey pocket.
Adapted from a recipe in Real Simple, November 2011.