I bet you didn’t know that today is National Homemade Bread Day. Who knew homemade bread got its own day? I thought any day you made bread at home would be homemade bread day… Well, it turns out that today, November 17 is the official day to celebrate homemade bread. Instead of limiting our focus to just more bread recipes, we’re going to share some recipes for turning that loaf of delicious homemade bread into stuffing.
Stuffing made our list of intimidating items and my guess is that it’s the actual bread component that causes the stress- after all, stuffing is pretty basic. The principles of a good stuffing are the same whether you use gluten free bread or conventional bread—you want to use day-old, or oven-dried bread, so plan ahead. To really save yourself time, bake a loaf of bread this weekend and let it sit out overnight. Then dice it and freeze it until Wednesday night.
It’s hard to boil down the basics of stuffing when every region of the United States has its own way of doing things. Here are some pretty simple gluten free bread recipes that you can use in the basic gluten free stuffing recipes that follow. Want a truly simply way to make stuffing? Try our Gluten Free Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix– it’s fairly basic and a great place to start your gluten free bread baking education. We also have a great Gluten Free Cornbread Mix, if that’s more your style.
Basic Gluten Free Breads
- Delicious Gluten Free Bread from Gluten Free Goddess
- Gluten Free Multigrain Bread from Gluten Free Girl
- Basic Gluten Free Sourdough Bread from Jean Layton, the Gluten-Free Doctor
- Basic Gluten Free Bread from Celiac Chicks
- Basic Gluten Free Cornbread from Carol Fenster via Bob’s Red Mill
Stuffing Recipes (make sure you use a gluten free broth or make your own to avoid any hidden sources of gluten)
- Homemade Wonderful Stuffing: This recipe uses our Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix as a base, but you could use any gluten free bread in this recipe.
- How to Make the Best Gluten Free Stuffing from Elizabeth Barbone via Serious Eats (great step-by-step guide!)
- Basic Stuffing (Video Guide) from Gluten Free Girl
- Cornbread Stuffing Recipe with Curried Apples and Cranberries from Gluten Free Goddess