Hand pie, pocket pie, pasty, whatever you want to call it, it’s delicious. A hand pie is portable and easy to eat on the go. You can make them savory like a pasty or sweet like those little pies of school-lunch-box day. If Bob could have his way, he’d probably have a sweet one and a savory one in each hand. We have whipped up two different options- one sweet and tiny for those with little hands or who just want a bite of pie and one savory pie perfect for the days you brown bag it. I’ve also taken the liberty of curating a few more options, in case ours aren’t quite your style. To keep this post from being outrageously long, simply click through on the links below for each recipe. We recommend our Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix for each of these, but any pie crust recipe will work. I also am in love with the book Handheld Pies by Rachel Wharton and Sarah Billingsley which has tons of different filling options.
Savory Hand Pies:
- Beef and Vegetable Hand Pies
- Spinach and Feta Hand Pies
- Cheese and Vegetable Pasty
- Chicken and Vegetable Hand Pies
Sweet Hand Pies:
- Bob Tarts: We took our savory hand pie recipe and filled these babies with Nutella, then did a sugar glaze with sprinkles on top. If you want a more formal recipe, check out this one: Homemade Pop Tarts.
- For Apple Cinnamon “Bob” Tarts, follow this recipe for the filling.