We’re celebrating the tiny wonder-seed Chia all month long. This wonderful recipe comes from Jennifer from Savor the Thyme. Of her blog, Jennifer says, “Savor the Thyme focuses on family-friendly healthy food and lifestyle. I believe in feeding your family in a healthy way and to me that means eating ‘real’ foods but also having fun and a good sense of humor while you do it!” We love that! This recipe is beautiful and pretty drool-inducing if you ask us. Enjoy!
Banana Blueberry Chia Seed Bundt Cake with Coffee Glaze
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup Applesauce, no sugar added
- 3 Eggs
- 6 oz. plain fat free Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Blueberries
- 1 ripe Banana, mashed
- ¼ cup Chia Seeds, whole
Ingredients for the glaze:
- 1 cup packed Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp Coffee
2. Combine the first six ingredients together in large bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, applesauce, eggs, yogurt and vanilla until combined.
4. Fold the bananas and blueberries into the wet ingredients.
5. Add dry ingredients to wet and fold to combine.
6. Fold in the chia seeds.
7. Spray a bundt pan with baking spray and then fill with the batter. Bake for about 45 – 55 minutes (test doneness by inserting a toothpick and making sure it comes out ‘clean’) and allow to cool for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack and allow to completely cool.
8. Prepare the glaze by mixing the sugar and coffee with a fork and then drizzle over the cake and serve.