I’m not sure what I like best about this salad – the taste or the presentation! This makes a great dish for a light lunch or a special brunch, served in colorful radicchio “bowls.” The combination of textures (think soft, chewy barley combined and the crunch of the cucumber) and flavors (the sharpness of the radicchio with the smoothness of the avocado and the citrus flavors) are perfect partners!
This recipe is easy, pretty and delicious!
Barley Salad in Radicchio Bowls with Champagne-Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Pearl Barley, cooked according to package directions, then chilled
- 1 head Radicchio, gently separated to use whole leaves as individual serving “bowls” (wash and dry them thoroughly)
- 1 Cucumber, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1-2 Avocados, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1-2 Oranges peeled with pith removed, and sectioned
- 3 Tbsp Parsley, torn or cut into small pieces
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Champagne Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Taste and adjust the ingredients slightly, to taste. Chill until ready to use.
After you’ve cooked the barley (it takes between 50-60 minutes to cook), chill it until it’s cool.
Mix the diced cucumber and parsley into the barley. Gently fold in the orange sections and avocado. Add the Champagne-orange dressing, a few tablespoons at a time, and gently toss until all the ingredients are lightly coated.
Scoop the mixture into individual radicchio “bowls” and serve on individual place settings.