Blinis are a thin, crepe-like pancake, often made with buckwheat flour. We’ve taken our Buckwheat Pancake Mix and created these bite-size blinis that are perfect for brunch and hors d’oeuvres. Of course, if you don’t have access to our buckwheat pancake mix, you can use any of our pancake mixes for a similar result. We’ve included some suggested toppings below for sweet or savory combinations. If you’re short on time, watch the video at the end of the post for a quick method for making these lovely little pancakes. Make these for your next party and watch how quickly they disappear!
Buckwheat Blini Bites
Contributed by: Sarah House for Bob’s Red Mill Test Kitchen
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Rest Time: 90 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 40 blinis (10 servings)
- 1 cup warm Milk
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- ¼ oz packet Active Dry Yeast
- 3 Eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Buckwheat Pancake Mix
Combine warm milk, sugar and yeast and let sit until yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
Whisk in eggs and butter, then Bob’s Red Mill Buckwheat Pancake Mix. Cover and let rest until bubbly, about 90 – 120 minutes.
Oil or butter a nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Pour 1 Tbsp batter onto skillet per blini and cook until edges are set and bubbles have formed on the top, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side, 1 – 2 minutes. Serve immediately or hold warm in a 200°F oven.
Savory topping ideas:
- Creme fraiche, sliced cherry tomatoes and basil
- Ricotta cheese, smoked salmon, sprig of dill
- Sour cream, a sprinkling of paprika and chives (see photo at the beginning of the post)
Sweet topping ideas:
- Sliced strawberries, chocolate hazelnut spread, dollop of whipped cream
- Sliced figs, goat cheese, drizzle of honey