This delicious and fairly easy recipe comes from Alyssa of Everyday Maven. Everyday Maven is where Whole Foods meets Weight Watchers. Simple and delicious everyday recipes for the home cook who wants to keep their food clean and their waistline trim!
Beans, Barley + Spinach with Spicy Chicken Sausage
Serves 6 – Individual Serving is 1.5 heaping Cups
- 1 package Bob’s Red Mill Black Bean Soup Mix
- 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 4 to 5 cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
- Place Black Bean Soup Mix in large soup pot and cover with enough water to cover by at least 3 to 4”. Soak overnight.
- Drain and return to pot. Bring to a rolling boil. Once boiling, skim foam off with a slotted spoon.
- Lower heat to a strong simmer, add 2 tablespoons kosher salt and crushed garlic.
- Cook until soft but not mushy, between 40 and 60 minutes. Cooking time will depend on how long you soak the mixture for and how fresh the beans are. Start checking at 40 minutes.
- Once cooked, allow to cool in cooking liquid until ready to use.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- ½ pound Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage, sliced into ¼” rounds
- 4 ounces Shiitake Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into ½” pieces
- 8 ounces White Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into ½” pieces
- ½ tsp + ½ tsp Kosher Salt (divided)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper + more for serving
- Pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 12 ounces Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 6 cups of the cooked Bob’s Red Mill Black Bean Soup Mix, drained
- 1/3 cup Basil Pesto
- 1 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- Fresh Basil Leaves (for garnish), thinly sliced
- grated Parmesan Cheese (for garnish)
- If you have a food processor, toss in the garlic and process until finely chopped. Add the onion in and do the same. If not, finely chop by hand and combine.
- Roughly chop the baby spinach and set aside in a large bowl.
- Remove stems from shiitake and white mushrooms and slice caps into ½” pieces.
- Cut sausage into ¼” rounds. If sausage is very fresh and soft (hard to slice), cook in a non-stick pan for 4 to 5 minutes to firm up and then slice.
- Chiffonade basil leaves for garnish.
- Heat large soup pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion along with sliced sausage. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is fully cooked.
- Toss in mushrooms, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook 3 to 5 minutes until mushrooms are soft.
- Add spinach to the pot. Add drained beans on top of the spinach. Cover and cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes until spinach is just wilted. Remove cover, stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Toss with basil pesto and sherry vinegar. Adjust black pepper to taste and add remaining ½ teaspoon kosher salt if needed.
- Serve with a teaspoon or two of grated Parmesan cheese on top and fresh basil.