A long time favorite at Bob’s Red Mill, these vegetarian wraps can stand on their own as appetizers or pair them with roasted fava beans and this great tomato salad recipe from Jamie Oliver for a truly Italian dinner. These do take a little more time in the kitchen, but they are well worth it. Cheers!
Tuscan Quinoa Radicchio Wraps
- 3/4 cup uncooked Quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups Water
- 1-1/2 cups cooked, rinsed and drained Cannellini Beans
- 4 Plum Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup Black Olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, chopped
- 1 small fresh Fennel Bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large fresh Lemon, juiced and grated zest
- 1 Shallot, minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 heads Radicchio, leaves separated into “cups”
- 1 to 2 cups fresh Basil Leaves
Place quinoa into a large saucepan and dry toast over medium heat just until a few grains begin to pop. (Not necessary to wash Bob’s Red Mill Organic Quinoa Grain because it is pre-washed).
Add water, bringing to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the liquid. Remove from heat and let stand, covered for 10 minutes, then fluff lightly with a fork.
Place cooked quinoa into a mixing bowl with beans, tomatoes, olives, onion, fennel and pine nuts.
Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and minced shallot until well blended. Add to mixing bowl with quinoa mixture, tossing gently to blend. Season as desired with salt and pepper.
Spoon mixture into a small bowl; place on a large platter with radicchio leaves and basil. To eat, spoon quinoa mixture into radicchio leaf cups; top as desired with basil leaves, rolling the radicchio leaves to close (serve with plenty of napkins).
Makes about 12 appetizer servings.