Today’s Meatless Monday recipe comes from one of our Train with Grain sponsored cyclocross riders, Patricia Dowd. It sounded so simple and delicious, I couldn’t help but share it over here, too. Check out more Train with Grain content here. Not only is it pretty simple, but it uses pumpkin and it’s Halloween- perfect fit! Happy Halloween!
This week’s farm share was jam packed with early fall goodness: pumpkin, arugula, fingerling potatoes, garlic and heirloom tomatoes.
I opened my refrigerator and found pre-cooked rice and garbanzo beans staring me in the face, so I threw this together for lunch.
- Arugula (1 cup)
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (a handful, pre-roasted)
- Garlic (1 large clove)
- Olive oil (drizzle into the food processor until the pesto reaches desired consistency)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Place arugula, pumpkin seeds and garlic in a food processor. Pulse. Drizzle in olive oil while food processor is on. Add salt and pepper. Pulse. Voila, pesto!
- Prepared brown rice, Bob’s Red Mill Long Grain Brown Rice. Follow directions on package. Make extra rice and store in your frig.
- Prepared Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo Beans. Follow directions on package. Make extra beans and store in your frig.
- Roasted pumpkin. Peel, cut and de-seed pumpkin. Toss with olive oil and sea salt. Roast in oven at 400°F degrees for 35-45 minutes. Store roasted pumpkin in frig.
- Chop a farm fresh tomato. If it’s not tomato season, skip adding the tomato. Out of season tomatoes are mushy and taste terrible.
Grab your favorite bowl. Fill with brown rice, arugula pesto, garbanzo beans and roasted pumpkin. Top with chopped tomato, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Enjoy!