This recipe comes from Pooja Mottl of Pooja’s Way. Pooja’s Way is filled with recipes, fitness tips and videos for a healthy lifestyle. Her philosophy is that healthy food should be delicious and simple to cook. We hope you enjoy this recipe from her. We love it because it adds whole grains to a classic favorite. Make this gluten free by using our Gluten Free Rolled Oats.
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: Approx. 3 ½ cups
Can creamy be healthy and delicious? Absolutely! By substituting rolled oats for butter and cream, this seasonal butternut squash soup recipe takes on a beautiful creamy consistency while staying entirely plant based. Star anise adds a beautifully sweet flavor and aroma to this hearty Fall and Winter go-to.
[Updated: 11/21/11: 9:30 am]
- 1 tsp organic Expeller Pressed Canola Oil (preferred) or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups Yellow Onion, diced (about 1 large onion)
- 4 cups Butternut Squash, skin removed, roughly diced into ¾ inch cubes (about ¾ squash)
- 2 ½ cups organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 ¾ cup organic Apple Cider
- ½ to ¾ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 star Anise
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Regular Rolled Oats
- ¼ tsp ground Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- ½ cup Water
- Warm oil in a large heavy bottom saucepot or dutch oven over low-medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, making sure not to brown.
- Add squash, stock, 1 ¼ cup cider, star anise, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, remove star anise, add oats, spices, and continue to simmer, covered for another ten minutes. Or until squash softens and begins to fully dissolve.
- Turn off heat. Add water and remaining apple cider and immediately transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a strong blender, and blend until creamy smooth. Blend in batches if necessary. Transfer back to sauce pot, add remaining salt (optional) and warm again as desired. Ladle into your favorite bowl and enjoy!
Copyright © 2010 Pooja Mottl. All rights reserved.