Aebleskivers are a delightful, Danish confection that marries the texture of a pancake with the airiness of a popover. Typically aebleskivers are filled with apples or other delights, but many recipes in the United States are simply puffs of sweet dough. Aebleskivers require a special pan which may be hard to come by locally, but many online retailers offer them if your hunt proves fruitless. This recipe uses our Buttermilk Pancake Mix, but you can make these from scratch, as well.
Aebleskivers – Step by Step
Contributed by: Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods
- 1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 cup Water
- 2 large Eggs, separated
- 2 Tbsp Butter, melted + additional for pan
- Powdered Sugar to garnish
1. Separate yolks and whites into two separate bowls.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk yolks until thick and pale yellow.
3. Whisk 2 Tbsp melted butter into yolks.
5. Whisk Bob’s Red Mill Buttermilk Pancake Mix into yolks. Set aside.
10. Brush each aebleskiver cup with melted butter.
11. Fill each cup ¾ full with batter.
12. Cook until bubbly and set around the edges, about 1 ½ minutes.
13. Turn over each aebleskiver using a fork or toothpick.
14. Continue to cook on the second side until browned and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 minute.