This tasty, whole grain take on a Chinese classic comes from Jennifer Baldwin of Healthy Mamas and is just perfect for Meatless Mondays. Healthy Mamas is written by “just a few girls who happen to be moms, who are discovering and sharing ways to cook YUMMY and easy healthy meals!” They have loads of healthy, easy recipes so check ’em out.
Sweet and Sour Vegetable Couscous
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 8 oz. Pineapple Juice (or Juice from a 15 oz. can of Pineapple Chunks*)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups Sugar Snap Peas
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup Water Chestnuts
- 2 Carrots, sliced into thin pieces
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pearl Couscous
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4.5 cups Water (or Chicken Broth)
Whisk the first 5 ingredients together over medium heat. Add vegetables (*you can also toss in a few diced pineapple chunks) and continue to cook for 10-12 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, prepare your couscous by sautéing it in olive oil for 5 minutes until slightly browned. Add your water or broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Spoon your sweet and sour veggies over the couscous. Serves 4.