Whether you need a side dish for Thanksgiving or just a new addition to your menu rotation, this dish from Jennifer of Savory Simple is a hearty blend of farro, apples and sweet potatoes with crumbled Gorgonzola to add an incomparable richness! If this salad were a shirt, I’d say it could be paired with a pencil skirt or a pair of jeans and never miss a beat.
This colorful farro salad is full of textures and complimentary flavors. It makes a wonderful lunch or side dish. Try serving this at Thanksgiving dinner!
Farro Salad with Apples and Sweet Potatoes
Yields: 8-12 servings | Total Time: 25 minutes
Note: save time by using bagged, pre-shredded purple cabbage
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced (approximately 3-4 cups)
- 5 cups cook Farro (2 cup uncooked)
- 2 large Apples, diced (approximately 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups Purple Cabbage, shredded and chopped (see note)
- 1/3 cup toasted Slivered Almonds
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground Black Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the diced sweet potatoes and cook until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the sweet potatoes, farro, apples, gorgonzola, cabbage and slivered almonds.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and gently toss until evenly coated. Adjust seasoning if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Jennifer Farley is the creator, recipe developer and photographer of Savory Simple, a blog dedicated to gourmet, simple, beautiful food and quality ingredients. Jennifer graduated from the Culinary Arts program at L’Academie de Cuisine in Gaithersburg, MD and has worked professionally as a chef and cooking instructor. She recently published her first cookbook, The Art of Slush. Her work has been featured by Williams-Sonoma, Bon Appetit, Food52, The Kitchn, Huffington Post and Marcus Sammuelsson. She currently resides in Washington DC. Follow her Facebook, Twitter and Google+.