I guess it’s a hemp kind of week around here. We’re so in love with this little nutritional powerhouse, we’ve been throwing it in everything, including pesto. This pesto recipe uses hemp in place of pine nuts for a more nutritious, omega-3 rich sauce. Once we tried it, we were sold. Hemp seeds are a complete protein, so this makes your liberal use of pesto a great way to nutritionally boost that bowl of pasta.
This recipe calls for basil in the spirit of a traditional pesto, but you could also use arugula or kale for a different flavor profile. Add a handful of sun dried tomatoes for an entirely different, yet delicious, experience. This stuff is addicting, I’ll tell you that up front, mixed with pasta, spread on bread, dropped by dollops on pizza, spread on sandwiches, drizzled over ice cream… okay, maybe not that last one, but this pesto could seriously just be eaten by the spoonful. Bonus, this recipe is ridiculously easy- simply put the ingredients in a food processor and blend! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 cup packed fresh Basil Leaves rinsed and dried (40g)
- 1/2 cup Hulled Hemp Seed Hearts (75g)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese (40g)
- 2 cloves Garlic minced (6g)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (3g)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (55g)
- Combine basil, Hemp Seed Hearts, Parmesan cheese, garlic and salt in a food processor or blender and begin pureeing.
- Slowly stream in olive oil and allow to mix until a smooth paste has formed, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Store, chilled, for up to 1 week. Serve on pasta, rice, cold salads, or as a spread or dip.