I am a huge fan of giving homemade gifts for the holidays. It not only gives me the chance to share treats that I love, but also allows me the opportunity to personalize these gifts for whomever I’m giving them to. I like including a cute jar that can be used for other things with an easy to assemble recipe along with a platter to serve it on and a dish towel for a cute presentation. I try to come up with things I know work with the recipients decor or cooking personality. The recipe I’m sharing today is based on another family favorite around here. This is one of those recipes that I always get asked to bring to events and gatherings. I love how well it came together as a gift and it’s so easy to bake. The best part about these bars is that they are even better the second day. So, easy to make and they keep well, could you ask for more?
Now, about the bars…
Caramel, oatmeal, brown sugar and chocolate chips! Could you really go wrong? Not in this house! These Chocolate Chip Caramel Gooey Bars are layers of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with a rich dense caramel center. These bars are perfect treats for holiday gatherings since they bake up quickly, slice beautifully and will stay fresh for days (not that they will stick around that long).
Chocolate Chip Caramel Gooey Bars
Large Jar Ingredients
- 2-1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Gluten Free Quick Cooking Oats
- 1-1/2 cups Brown Sugar, packed (dark or light)
- 1-12 oz bag Dairy Free Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (your favorite brand)
Small Jar Ingredients
- 16 oz Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1-1/2 cups cold Dairy Free Butter (EarthBalance)
To assemble the jars:
- 1 – 10 cup jar
- 1 – 2 cup jar
Combine 2 cups flour with baking soda and salt. Place in the large jar. Next layer the oats, then the brown sugar and then add the chocolate chips to the top.
In a bowl, combine the caramel sauce and the remaining 1/2 cup flour. Pour mixture into the small jar.
To Bake Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine flour mixture, oats, brown sugar chocolate chips.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. Set half aside for topping.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle caramel mixture over the top of the half baked layer. Spread mixture all over, but not to the edges.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting.
Sarena Shasteen has been an avid health food and fitness enthusiast from an early age. She holds a degree in Culinary Arts from The Art Institute of Atlanta, a certification in Fitness Nutrition and is a certified Fitness Trainer from International Sport Science Association (ISSA). Becoming a Personal Trainer and Specialist in Fitness Nutrition has been a lifelong goal of hers. Sarena enjoys helping others reach their health goals by teaching them that health and fitness are not only achieved in the gym, but also through fun everyday activities. Now a food writer, recipe developer, personal chef, Personal Trainer and Specialist in Fitness Nutrition, she enjoys sharing with others that healthy living can be fun and delicious. Keep up with her at The Non Dairy Queen and on Facebook and Twitter.