I have a confession to make, I never really liked lentils until a few years ago. I hate to admit that there is any food, especially such a nutritious food, that I don’t like, but I did not like lentils. Thankfully, I’ve come around after trying many different dishes and realizing, that I was woefully wrong. I have no idea where my distaste originated, but I’m happy to have become a lentil convert and here’s why. Lentils, like most legumes, are nutritional powerhouses. They cook quickly- we’re talking about 20 minutes, which is faster than most whole grains, and they’re incredibly versatile. They can be used in soups, stews, salads, appetizers, veggie burgers, dips… did we mention they’re versatile?
To celebrate these humble little legumes, I’ve gathered together some of our favorite lentil recipes for fall. Yes, most of them are soups, but it’s fall which means it’s soup season! Enjoy!
- Red Lentil Turkish Soup from The Lemon Bowl
- Spicy Lentil Burgers from Macheesmo
- Vegetarian Chili from Stuck on Sweet
- Sorghum Lentil Sloppy Joes from Non Dairy Queen
- Lentil and Couscous Stuffed Peppers from Cookie + Kate
- Farro, Lentil and Cabbage Soup from Je Mange La Ville
- Sweet Glazed Rosemary Onion Lentil Loaves from Non Dairy Queen
- Vegetable Red Lentil Soup from Katie’s Cucina
- Kale, Lentil and Roasted Beet Salad from Minimalist Baker
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup from Spoonful of Flavor