Ch,ch,ch Chia! Yes, Chia pets! Now in 2010 we are not only sprouting this tiny seed, but eating it too! Just like many whole grains and wonder foods, our ancestors knew best and ate it hundreds of years ago. These seeds nutritional value and medicinal benefits are extensive.
Chia seeds date back to ancient Aztecs. Used for a warriors nourishment and complex form of energy, Chia seeds were snacked on and placed in dishes just as we are learning to utilize them today. They have a large amount of soluble fiber and a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids. Remarkably, Chia seeds have six times the amount of calcium as milk. Although you might not be an Aztec warrior, you should still try one of these Chia seed tips!
* Try our GF Pizza Crusts: Made every Thursday and available in the store freezer.
* Try chia seeds as an egg replacement gel: combine 1/3 cup of seeds with 2 cups water. 1 egg= 1/4 cup gel
* Experiment with thickening puddings or custards!
* Add some seeds to your morning smoothie.
* Sprinkle them atop a summer salad.
Oh the possibilities! Remember that Chia seeds are healthy, so add them to anything and tell us about it!